Friday, September 14, 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes



I actually don't really know what to say about this recipe. It's cupcakes. They're red. And velvety.
I've made this recipe several times now, including a few times last year, before I got adventurous with my baking. Come to think of it, this recipe actually says a lot about the way my baking has....evolved(?). The first time I attempted these, they came out absolutely terrible. They refused to bake properly and were sticky and mushy. This was due to the fact I didn't have baking soda at home, and thinking it would be okay, substituted it with baking powder; it wasn't.
The next time I tried them, I again forgot that I would need baking soda. Instead, I did some reading on the internet and decided to try substituting it with baking powder, and also switching the buttermilk to normal milk; this worked wonderfully.
Granted, the last batch I made wasn't my favourite (I ran out of caster sugar so it was a liiitle under in terms of flavour), but the fact this is now something I can make easily, to me, is something I can compare to the first time I made these and be proud.
My favourite part of these is the frosting, cream cheese is absolute boss. The cake is also moist but not heavy on sweetness or a strong flavour, so the pair work really well together. Below, I've included the original recipe (no baking powder/soda switchover). I've been told by some of my friends that they prefer these to the ones you can buy at popular cupcake stores; if that's not inflation for my baking ego, I don't know what is.

Red Velvet Cupcakes (Adapted from taste)

For the cupcakes:
  • 300g (2 cups) plain flour
  • 30g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 315g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
  • 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
  • 200g unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, lightly whisked
  • 1 tbs white vinegar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbs liquid red food colouring
 For the frosting:
  • 250g pkt cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 300g (approx 2 cups) icing sugar
  • 60g butter, at room temperature
  • 2 tsp vanilla essence
  1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line two 12 hole muffin trays with patty cases.
  2. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda into a large bowl. Whisk in the sugar.
  3. In a smaller bowl, whisk the buttermilk, butter, eggs, vanilla and vinegar until combined.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the wet mixture, stirring to combine.
  5. Stir in the food colouring, making sure the batter is a deep, rich red. Use more than the specified amount if required.
  6. Bake cupcakes in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean.
  7. Allow to cool in muffin pan for five minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
  8. When cupcakes are completely cool, prepare the frosting; place the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla into a bowl, beating with an electic mixer until light and fluffy.
  9. Pipe or spread onto cupcakes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment