Friday, August 17, 2012

Chocolate-Chip Cookies


I know, I know. It's been a really long time since I last posted. I'd cite exams as the reason but there was more than enough time inbetween giggling over a guy called "Franz Bumm" and writing half-finished essays about Sulla's mulberry face. (I don't know, that somehow translates to studying in my language).
Basically, I couldn't be bothered. Not to do the posts, nah, rambling about my baking woes and how delicious freshly-baked brownies are is something I never hesitate to do. I think it was more the recipes. While all my baked goods do stem from some sort of recipe, there's every chance I've altered it in some way while baking, and even if not, it feels a little silly to just copy/paste the recipe instead of acknowledging and then adapting the original one to my blog. Hence my ramblings about my baking woes and how delicious brownies are were forced to find a new host, namely in the form of me complaining expressing to my friends at school. Hey, baking gets pretty stressful sometimes.
So anyway, on to the actual subject of this post, chocolate chip cookies! I've blogged these before, but what kind of baker (or y'know, human...) can resist re-making such a delicious classic. I did, however, use a different recipe this time, opting for the New York Times recipe I found on spicy icecream. The batter resulted in actual cookie dough (as opposed to the runnier, batter-like result from the previous recipe I used), which was to be chilled and then rolled into balls. Actually, the recipe said to use an ice-cream scoop to put the dough on the tray, but where's the fun in that? If you're making cookie dough, you might as well roll it up and mould it by hand, no?
I also noticed that the original recipe advised to cover the entire bowl of dough and place it into the fridge for twenty-four/thirty-six hours before baking. What kind of willpower do these people have!?! I mean, chilling the dough is in fact neccesary to get it to a firm consistency, making it much easier to shape/bake, but waiting that long means that 1. You have to wait much longer to eat your cookies 2. Run the risk of tempting yourself (or others in the house) to run stick their sticky little fingers into the dough and enjoy some good ol' raw cookie dough.
I've made two small batches so far, one was made with dough which had been chilling in the fridge for around forty minutes, and the other after almost a whole day. Both turned out absolutely wonderful, so I see no need for lengthy chilling time. There's just under half the total batter left, which I have wrapped in baking paper, cling wrap and put inside a ziploc bag in the freezer (who am I kidding, it'll be gone within the next few days).
The recipe made cookies with crispy edges and a slightly softer centre, and turned out absolutely delicious.

OKAY enough talking, here's the recipe!

Chocolate Chip Cookies (Adapted from spicy icecream)
  • 240g (approx two scant cups) plain flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp sea salt (table salt is fine)
  • 140g soft unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 110g (just over half a cup) caster sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 250g milk chocolate chips

  1.  In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
  2. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy (around 3-5 minutes) with an electric mixer on medium speed.
  3. Add in the egg, mixing until it is well incorporated.
  4. Add the vanilla and mix briefly to combine.
  5. Add half the flour mixture, mixing on low speed to combine.
  6. Repeat with remaining flour mixture.
  7. Fold in the chocolate chips with a large metal spoon.
  8. Form the mixture into a dough with your hands, ensuring the chocolate chips are well distributed throughout the dough.
  9.  Roll the dough into a large ball, wrap twice in cling wrap and place in the fridge.
  10. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 175 degrees and roll the dough out into a cylinder with your hands.
  11. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into appropriate sized pieces (see picture), and roll into small, thick, slightly flattened discs. Add extra chocolate chips to the top of cookies if desired. Place on a baking tray lined with greased baking paper, leaving enough space for cookies to spread (I only cooked five cookies at a time, so you may have to do them in small batches to avoid overcrowding the pan).
  12. Bake in the oven for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until lightly golden.
  13. Cool cookies in baking tray for five minutes, before easing them off the baking paper and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment