Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies

There are photos at the end, I promise! 

I don't have much to say about this recipe, chocolate chip cookies kinda speak for themselves, don't they?
This recipe was adapted from the "Foolproof Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe" from raspberri cupcakes. Putting the word "foolproof" in the recipe's title is a big call, and I've had issues with recipes from this blog before so I was a tad anxious.However, the recipe looked easy enough, and the cookies did in fact turn out very well.
I'm yet to meet a person who isn't sold on the deliciousness of Subway Cookies, and I, like many others, have found myself converted to soft, chewy cookies over the crunchy ones. These cookies can be baked for longer to make them crunchy, or taken out of the oven when they are just cooked to keep them chewy/soft.
The recipe on the blog speaks the truth - the cookies will spread quite a bit. I made some of mine too big and ran out of space on the trays, so some of them did get stuck together.
I also had some issues where greasing was concerned. If you're Indian (or Fijian-Indian like me), you should (almost) definitely be familiar with ghee, which is clarified butter. My mum brushes it onto her rotis, and since her little ghee tin is next to the pastry brush I use to grease my pans, I usually just use the ghee in place of butter. However, we're temporarily out of ghee, meaning I had to use normal butter. The difference the ghee makes was very noticable as most of the cookies were stuck firmly onto the butter-greased baking paper, resulting in cookies with imcomplete looking undersides when I finally pried them off the paper. Hopefully my dad will make another trip to one of the random "Fijian/Indian/Sri Lankan/Pacific Island" shops in the area before I attempt my next batch..
The cookies were still tasty, though, and I shall leave you with the recipe and some.... photos.


(Adapted from raspberri cupcakes' Foolproof Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe)

Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • 125g butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups tightly packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 egg lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and  line two large baking trays with greased baking paper.
  2. Beat the sugar and butter with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
  3. Stir in the vanilla and egg until just combined.
  4. Stir in the flour and baking powder until just combined.
  5. Fold the chocolate chips through the mixture, aiming to distribute as evenly throughout the mixture as possible.
  6. Place heaped teaspoons of mixture onto the baking trays.Ensure there is plenty of space for them to be able to spread while cooking!
  7. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until cookies turn golden (or golden brown if you want a crunchier cookie).
  8. Allow to cool in trays before transferring cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.







The photos I post are never anything special, they're more just to show what my end product looked like for these posts. This recipe yielded even worse photos than usual, as I only remembered to take a photo for the blog when I had individually wrapped a bunch of them a few minutes before I had to go to school. Soz guise.









Oh, and there's also this photo from when they were in the oven. Yep, oven light just helps the whole photo reach a new level of amazingness (*Cough*). Aw come on, you know what a chocolate chip cookie looks like. I'm just here to talk.


1 comment: